Tom has devoted almost his whole working life to the children and families living on one of the most ethnically-diverse housing projects in North London. Once notorious for its crime rate, the area's burglary rate had dropped to almost zero by 2005.
Tom's whole teaching career was within one of the area's all-age Special Schools. Starting as a Classroom Assistant, he became successively Primary Team leader, lead for pastoral care and behaviour support throughout the school, and Acting Deputy Head.
Concerned equally for the adverse life circumstances affecting parents as for the needs of their children, Tom simultaneously moved from being parent and family support coordinator within the school to managing the FABLE Family Support Project serving a multitude of community needs.
Tom has wholeheartedly espoused a multi-disciplinary community approach to education and wellbeing, and promoted the application of Emotional Therapies in his work. He has delivered all training to families and professionals developed by the Family Support project. Along with skilled consultancy this has been taken up enthusiastically by other schools and settings across London.
Tom brings to his work great warmth and real empathy for the needs of society's most vulnerable families.
- 2018–Present: Freelance trainer and consultant
- 2011–2018: Pastoral Care Lead, Acting Deputy Head, Manager of Family Support Project, Brook Special School, Haringey
- 1998–2011: SMT Member, Primary Team Leader, William C Harvey School
- 1990–1998: Class Teacher, William C Harvey School, Haringey
- 1988–1989: Classroom Assistant, William C Harvey School, Haringey
- 1985–1988: Residential Social Worker, Cheviots Children's Centre, Enfield
- Team-Teach Tutor, Team-Teach Ltd., 1995
- PGCE, Goldsmith's College, University of London, 1990
- BSc(Hons), Psychology, Hatfield Polytechnic, 1985